Neither too large nor too small, Bronkhorstspruit lies about 50 km east of Pretoria. Saddling the border between Gauteng and Mpumalanga, it is conveniently situated next to the N4 highway, on the way to the city of Emalahleni (formerly known as Witbank).
The settlement that became the town of Bronkhorstspruit was founded in 1858 by a group of Voortrekkers. In 1897 it was granted a town charter and hence became known, officially, by the name it had already been called by locals, Bronkhorstspruit.
The town is also remembered for the 1880 battle between the British forces and the Boers of the Zuid-Afrikaansche Republiek.
Bronkhorstspruit has also seen some growth on the cultural side the past decade or two. It now plays host to the largest Buddhist temple in the southern hemishere, which also serves as the South African headquarters of a Humanistic Buddhist order from Taiwan.
Bronkhorstspruit Dam 10.0 km
Cullinan Mine and Attractions 30.0 km
Ezemvelo Game Reserve 40.0 km
Luiperdskloof 50.0 km
Witbank Casino 45.0 km
Buddist Temple 5.0 km
OR Thambo International 80.0 km
Pretoria 50.0 km
Johannesburg 100.0 km